Sunday, April 5, 2009

Setting sail.

Load the ship and set out. No one knows for certain whether the vessel will sink or reach the harbor. Cautious people say, "I'll do nothing until I can be sure". Merchants know better. If you do nothing, you lose. Don't be one of those merchants who wont risk the ocean.
Rumi Quote

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
I think that this is one of my problems, I don't want to move forward until I can be sure that it is safe to move forward. Even when I do feel spontaneous and decide to go for it, to just start running, my mind eventually catches up to me and shuts downs my momentum. I totally want to be able to just cast doubt from my mind and surrender to the moment. I've been feeling a roller coaster of emotions. I'm ready to just get off the ride. To be able to experience the emotion and then just let it go. I think that my frustration tends to exacerbate my emotions though so I find it difficult to just let them pass. I mull over them. And then the physical stuff starts to kick in. Lately, at night my throat has been feeling tight, which absolutely drives me crazy and I just get so frustrated.

But what can I do? Just wait for it to pass I guess. And in the meantime, try to find a way to not let it get to me so much. Lately, I have noticed that I let the things that bother me, really bother me. Yet, when I make progress or push myself I don't tend to recognize it as much. It's weird, I find that when I hear about other people making progress or doing new things, it is so easy for me to be glad for them and voice that excitement...or even when it comes to encouraging...I find it easier to be positive in others situations more than my own. And lately, my progress has been pretty good.

For the past few weeks, I've been trying to get to the DMV to renew my license before my birthday, which is on Wed. It's about ten minutes away from me...well, I finally made it to the parking lot only to discover....they had moved locations. Luckily, the location was not all that much further, maybe 5 more minutes away. But to me, where I am at right now, that's 5 more minutes away from my house that I have to deal with. I still do not know if I will be able to get there before Wed. I did make it to the temple again and then sat at a restaurant by my house by myself with some homework. I was rather pleased with myself.


"If you hear a voice within you say, 'You are not a painter,' then by all means paint…and that voice will be silenced."

— Vincent Van Gogh

I am going to silence the voice that tells me that I can't do things. I have to. I want my life back. I've been thinking lately, I keep telling myself that I will be happy when happens. But I think happiness is more than waiting for something to happen that I think will allow me to be happy. I believe that happy people tend to find some sort of happiness in whatever sort of situation they are thrown into. Happiness to me is more than an emotion, it's kind of like.... a way of living. I also think that I've been seeing agoraphobia as my enemy (of course it's hard to see it any other way!) when maybe I oughta stop putting that sort of judgment on it. Again, this is hard because I find it so frustrating at times but really, when I think about it, it is has sort of made me into who I am. However, it is not me. It's formed a lot of the way I think about things and how I treat people and the kind of understanding that I have towards others. Sooo, I guess I have to give it some credit...Plus, I think maybe, just maybe, I am missing the hidden value in this whole situation. Of course, I probably won't be able to really appreciate all of this until I can look back and be like, "So that's what it was trying showing me!" I am pretty much just rambling now, please excuse me, I think I needed to unload my thoughts for the night.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us






3 comments:

diver said...

I also think that I've been seeing agoraphobia as my enemy ... when maybe I oughta stop putting that sort of judgment on it.
-------------------------------------

Hi Kaci, that may be a breakthrough realisation you have there.

I've often thought that our anxiety and agoraphobia is there for a reason, that it's trying to tell us something ... something that's in our heart but that our head refuses to recognise ... as though there's an inner conflict between what our soul wants and what our ego wants.

This line of thought might be a good avenue for you to explore at the temple ?

Kaci said...

Yes, I've been meaning to have another chat with the teacher but he is very hard to get ahold of and I have not yet been able to make it back long enough to chat with him. I'm hoping I can make it to his class tomorrow.

It's just been so hard for me to see it as anything else but an enemy because I feel that it holds me back from being who I really want to be. I think that seeing everyone in my life around me moving forward makes me just see everything I am not doing. and I know really, it's me that holds myself back. *sigh*

diver said...

Remember Kaci, that while others are moving forward externally and materially you may well be making great strides forward 'inwardly' through the effort and intensity of your experience.

I mean, I can imagine that you're learning a lot about about mental health, about pain, about the emotional realm, and about compassion, these days. It may just be that your destiny at this stage of your life is to evolve at these purely 'spiritual' levels. And it may even be that your agoraphobia is the strange 'mechanism' by which you achieve these ends.

*sigh*, there was a lot of 'mays' in what I just said. In truth I really don't know. I guess I've just been impressed by your birth circumstance ... it prompts my intuition, makes me think that there's something very special about you.

Happy birthday Kaci. I hope the year ahead is bright and healing one for you :)