Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A little of this, a little of that.

I've been feeling a bit more anxious than usual these past could of days but luckily it hasn't really stopped me from getting out a little. I had another argument with my mom today about having people over. I was hoping that if I talked to her about how much it has affected me to be able to see my friends lately she might be willing to compromise but still she doesn't want to budge. She told me that if I wanted to have people over, I could move into my own apartment and have people over then. She also said that nobody wants to come hang out with me at home anyway. This kind of hurt my feelings a little because I am very sensitive to having people come over. I always worry that people aren't just going to want to stop by and have a chat in my driveway but luckily I have some very good people in my life who haven't complained about stopping by to see me, even if it does mean sitting outside.

So then I asked if I could just have people over in the backyard to sit on our porch and she wasn't even having that. I am still trying to work on getting out more so I can see my friends in a different setting but it has just been a very slow process and in the meantime I don't want to be cut off from people. I am a super affectionate person and I really am quite social and I believe that being able to see my friends a bit more lately and having someone who wants to be affectionate with me has made a impact on my mood and confidence. My family is not the affectionate type and I really am the type of person who needs hugs! Also, as I've mentioned before that I have issues with anxiety at night because I fear I won't be able to have someone to talk to if I get anxious and I think that being able to hang out with someone at night was helping since I knew someone was around to talk to. I'm glad that it is getting nicer around here so that it'll be a bit more pleasant to sit outside in front of the house (at least I still have that!) but I am still feeling a bit down about the whole situation. I really am trying to get out more to see people, in fact I will probably have another try at making it out to the bar I made it to last week to see a friend DJ there in a couple of weeks. I'm not too sure how that will end up since it will be on the weekend and pretty busy but I still want to try. So I don't think that people stopping over is really hindering me from wanting to get out.

While I am down about the whole situation, I haven't let it totally depress me. I still find that I am in a pretty good mood most of the time and am still trying to stay positive about things. I was reading about doshas on another person's blog I follow and I found it to be pretty interesting so I took the quiz myself and here's the results:

Vata
Vata-type people are generally thin and find it hard to gain weight. Because of this, Vatas have very little energy reserve and can tire easily and get themselves out of balance. Vatas need to get sufficient rest and not overdo things, stay warm, and keep a regular lifestyle routine.

The Vata dosha controls all movement in the body, including breathing, digestion, and nerve impulses from the brain. When Vata is out of balance, anxiety and other nervous disorders may be present. Digestive problems, constipation, cramps, and even premenstrual pain usually are attributed to a Vata imbalance.

The most important thing to know about Vata is that it leads the other doshas. Vata usually goes out of balance first, which causes the early stages of disease. More than half of all illnesses are Vata disorders. Balancing Vata is important for everyone, because when Vata is in balance, Pitta and Kapha are generally in balance as accumulated vata.

When Vata is out of balance, change and movement agitate the physiology resulting in a sense of instability. Balancing Vata requires introducing more grounding and stabilizing influences. Think routine and consistency. Here are a few tips to encourage balance and well-being:


Body Mind
  • Meditate twice a day to quiet the mind
  • Look for opportunities to create rhythm and routine in your life
  • Go to bed and awaken at about the same time every day
  • Wear Relaxing fragrances
  • Listen to slow and relaxing music to calm Vata
  • Minimize heavy reading, eating, or watching TV right before bed
  • Diffuse relaxing fragrances into your environment
  • Favor mild pastel shades and earth tones in your environment
Here is a link to the quiz - doshaquiz.chopra.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi miss Kaci. You pen pal jeff is off for a big 7 day weekend. I know it is a dirty job but i just have to do it. So look for me monday if you are on line. And keep up your getting out. I know you can do it.
Jeff A

morrow said...

I am sorry your mom wont let you have visitors. I felt really bad for you when I read that. I love that advice about balancing your energies.

Kaci said...

Have a good 7 day weekend :)

I just don't understand her reasoning behind it. I also really liked the dosha stuff. I've been taking some of the advice about it since I read it.