Sunday, April 12, 2009

Finding Balance.

I was taking one of those facebook application tests the other day and this is what it came up with:

Lovely Lady

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
You are lovely and caring. You help others and spread out a lot of sympathy. Your life aim maybe is to serve the people. But your weakness is that you forget about yourself, your own needs. All your time is hold back for your friends and family. You are always there for people in trouble. Ready for any emergency. You make a lot of sacrifices just to be a good human. But every woman has her needs, her longings and a destiny. Don't loose yourself in work or curing other people's souls. You will have your own problems in your life. Another problem is that you don't say your opinion when it's right and important to say it. People trample onto your soul if you are always so kind and lovely and helpful. They will play on you. Though you should try to relax more and enjoy your life, you should not loose the gift that was given to you to help others . Not everyone is created this way... You are uniqe and rare!

Now, I don't know how rare this type of personality is since the two other girls who took it also scored the same but it is just for fun. ;) However, it did get me thinking. I feel like there is some reason behind what happens to us. So I've been trying to uncover the reason behind all of this. This place I've found myself in once again. These feelings that are familiar yet not me.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Before I went back into "hibernation" (as I like to call it sometimes) I was constantly running around as much as I could. It was the first time I had really gotten out beyond what I had in the past times with agoraphobia. I had plans most weekends and even on the week nights. I don't know if I went out because I wanted to or because I felt I needed to.

The night I had the attack that led to me back to an agoraphobic state was because I went out to a packed club for Halloween when I was sick. I had plans with a friend and I didn't want to let her down and I wanted to go too. I'd never been out to the bars for Halloween before. On top of that, I had recently met a nice guy who was going to meet me there too. I should have stayed home, because I was miserable all night, the "nice" guy ditched me without a word and really, I should have just taken care of myself, I had a horrible cold. I wonder if I am dealing with this again to learn about how to take better care of myself (amongst other reasons). I feel so selfish though when I think about focusing on myself so much though. How do I find a good balance? That is what I want in my life. I want to be able to take care of others while still paying attention to my own needs.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

4 comments:

Robert said...

For what it's worth, I don't think that there's any reason behind what happens to us. No master plan. Everything that happens to you is either due to a combination of your genetic makeup and environment or just chance. So if you lost a leg in a car crash, that would be chance, not some clever plan to teach you the value of having 2 legs. Likewise, if you had been seriously stung by bees when you were 2 years old, you would probably have a life-long aversion to bees, even if you weren't aware why.

As far as I can see, you are in control of your own destiny. You use the good things you have got so far to make your life better and try to get rid of the not-so-good things.

You are responsible for your own happiness, and it is NOT selfish to look for happiness for yourself. The happier and more content YOU are, the more you can do for others.

I hope this helps.

Doug said...

Hi, Kaci. Any suggestion on what Tolle book I read next?

morrow said...

You are no good to anyone else if you do not take care of yourself first.

Those who worry about taking too much time for themselves are the exact people who should.

Kaci said...

Robert, Thanks, I think that way of thinking makes me feel like maybe I am suffering for a cause I guess. lol

Morrow, that is very true. How do I take care of my own needs without being selfish about it I guess is what I am trying to figure out because I know in the past I have been selfish.

D - Have you read A New Earth yet? So far I have only red two of his books, the one that you have read and that one. Oprah did a whole class series on it last year in January.