This past week has been one of the more frustrating times I've had in the past month or so. I feel like I've been making progress lately and I've been pretty happy about that until this past week. I have been feeling a bit more anxious and depressed. It's like the confidence I was working on just kinda faltered. I think that I am afraid that I will lose all the progress I've made and have to start all over again. Previous times in the past year when I've made progress, something has happened and I felt like I was pushed all the way back to the beginning. I'm actually at a point where I look forward to the next day not wish I could just sleep through it or worse. I do not want to go back to that place, those feelings, I want to remain hopeful and positive.
In the past month and a half, I've been able to get out more. I go on a daily drive (when it doesn't snow) and I feel like my moods are less drastic, I'm not getting angry over the smallest things and I haven't been feeling as depressed as I was before. I know to some it may not seem like much but
I try to convince myself that I am just having a set back. I mean, how else am I supposed to know I am making progress without having to be challenged from time to time? Yet, my mind doesn't seem to want to comprehend this. It's like I know that it doesn't have to be more than a set back but I find moments where it's really hard to convince my mind of that. It sounds weird almost describing myself as two different elements, me and my mind but sometimes that is how I feel. No, I do not have multiple personalities :)
How do you deal with set backs? Any advice? I am all ears.
To keep myself busy, I've been doing some more art. I made a necklace last night that got my mind off of things for a couple hours. I really hope that this mood passes soon and I find myself moving forward once again.
Some of the things that I have been doing to help with my progress are listening to my hypno therapy cd daily. If anything, it puts positive thoughts into my mind while I listen to it. I believe what you put out into the universe will come back to you. So, I've been trying to think more positively. I also listen to the Paul McKenna cd Lynn had suggested on her blog. I don't listen to it everyday but I listen to it as often as I can. I also have been doing daily affirmations. I'm reading a book called Creative Visualization and it's about how visualization can help you. I write down my affirmations and while I write them down, I think about what each one means to me or I visualize my affirmations being true. I also write down one thing I appreciate each day as well as my happiest moment during the day. I read somewhere that this is a good way to find out what you really enjoy and like to do. And I journal. Once again, I am going to say that I do not have multiple personalities but sometimes when I find myself having a rough patch, moment, whatever, I write in my journal and then respond to myself. I know it probably sounds odd, I actually got the idea from the book Eat Pray Love. When I write like that, it's like the fearful part of me is writing and the loving part of me is responding. Or the irrational and the rational. My response is always the most loving supportive thoughts that pop into my mind. The words I always wished someone else would say to me. Unconditionaly loving and completely supportive words. I cannot tell you how many times this has helped me get though some bad moments.
Anyway, that's all. I hope that everyone is well! Here's a song that I have been listening to non-stop. I find Dido's voice very soothing and her music is so mellow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Hi Kaci. Over the years I've found that 'progress' with anxiety & agoraphobia is one of those 'two steps forward one step back' sort of things. Or it's like climbing a mountain range where you have tough exhausting phases then get to a plateau for awhile ... then you cruise for a bit. In either case the broader trend is always 'upwards and onwards'. Though it's hard to see it this way sometimes. This is actually one of the really good things about blogging though - you get to look back and see your progress.
You wrote, 'It sounds weird almost describing myself as two different elements, me and my mind' ... no prob, you have a conscious mind and an unconscious mind ... or if you prefer, a 'ego' and a 'soul'. This is the nature of duality. Don't stress it though. The older you get the more the two will get into rhythm, into harmony with each other.
The only advice I have is about 'balance' - the idea of filling your days up with a good balance of physical, intellectual, and down-to-earth practical activities. I dunno, I'm Libran which is all about 'balance' so maybe that advice is just good for Librans. All I can say is that keeping myself real busy with a wide range of activities and physical exercise really helps with my anxiety.
I'm very fond of Dido. 'Don't Leave Home' is my personal agoraphobic anthem ... blows me away. It's like a dialogue with my agoraphobic inner self.
Hi,
I'm sorry that you have been feeling a bit down this month x
It's good that you are listening to the cd every night that keeps you positive.
Try to feel every half hour of the day so your not thinking negative, keep the mind active and maybe sing as u do stuff also.
hope you feel a bit more positive soon
marie x
You HAVE to believe that it's just a setback. The alternative is too horrible to contemplate.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Robert - Thanks, I am pounding it into my head that it is just a setback and continue to write out positive affirmations. I think it helps, I feel okay today.
Marie- Thanks, and I hope that you are still feeling better! Today it was really nice out here so that helped.
Diver- I probably say this way too much but it reminds me of Ekhart Tolle once again! He talks about how there are thoughts and then the awareness of the thoughts. Sometimes I feel like that. I probably need to exercise more. Sometimes it makes me feel uncomfortable so I tend to avoid it. I used to work out everyday and run when things were good.
Post a Comment