Monday, June 8, 2009

Sibling Rivalry and a little wisdom.

There seems to be a slight mood running rampant through the house today. I've been able to get along with my family lately, because I have stopped trying to ask for things to be any different and to see people and so things are back to normal...ish. Also, I have been getting out quite a bit more so I am not around the house probably much to my sisters happiness. My sister tends to be very touchy when people have an attitude with her which is ironic since she tends to have an attitude with others more often than not. We had been snappy towards each other most of the night. Whenever she is in one of her moods she always has this slight annoyed tone to her voice. Tonight my mom asked me if I'd like to watch a movie with them and since it was one I wanted to see I figured why not. Well, the moment I sit down my sister is already on my case, I had grabbed my phone to silence it and she turns to me and asked me in a really snotty voice if I was going to be on my phone all night. I really get tired of my sisters attitude over the smallest things and I'm tired of just having to deal with it so she won't throw a fit. So I responded equally annoyed that I was turning it off so she didn't need to worry. Well, that is all it took, she started having a fit and saying that she refused to watch the movie with me because I had an attitude.

She said she didn't want to be around me if I was going to be a bitch, which I don't see what it matters because if we are watching a movie nobody is going to be talking anyway. Which I pointed that out and she didn't seem to like that much either and told me very sarcastically "why don't you go be an agoraphobic and go out some more?"

This is not one of the worst things shes ever said to me but I have to admit I had to bite my tounge to not say something equally painful. We've never really gotten a long and I have some ideas where this all spawned from but I don't know why we haven't grown out of it. Maybe because she hasn't grown out of it, maybe because there are times where I just can't take her bad attitude and childlike tantrums. Sometimes I look at my family and wonder how I turned out to be so different. I know that nobody really purposely wants to make me feel this way (well cept my sister at times) but I do feel like the odd one out. I think that is why my friendships are so important to me and when I do get into them, relationships as well. All I know is that I need to move out, sooner than later.

The movie was very good. There was a lot of good wisdom to it I think. One of the things he said in the movie that stuck with me was:

For what it's worth: it's never too late or, in my case, too early to be whoever you want to be. There's no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you're proud of. If you find that you're not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.

In the scene, this is a letter he had written to his daughter. It really made me pause for a moment and think about it and I believe it is very true. It never is too late to be who you want to be, sometimes it just takes a lot of work.

No comments: