Monday, May 25, 2009

Yay!

Well today was the day! My goal for this week as I previously mentioned was to make it to the restaurant by my house to see my friend for his annual poker/bike run. He has done this every year for his birthday for...well I have no idea how long but he is in his 60's now. It's a pretty big event as far as I know, at least for bikers. I had some anxiety throughout the day and like a couple of weeks ago when I went out to Elite, I was feeling quite nervous by the time I needed to go. My friend had told me that the run ended at 4ish and that he would be there after he stopped at home and picked up his car. I was too nervous at first and had a hard time making it out of my neighborhood so I headed home and calmed down a bit and tried again. It took me at least 5 tries to get myself there. The second time when I drove past the place, it was so BUSY! I mean, like biker overload. They had roped off part of the parking lot for his birthday so that he could bring in a band and people could hang outside and there were tons of people everywhere...and bikes! Every time I convinced myself I could do it, I'd change my mind by the time I got to the parking lot and would leave again.

I think I finally just got to the point where I was thinking to myself....I know I can do this...why not at least prove it to myself rather than wonder later whether or not I could. And I really wanted to see my friend. The last time I was able to hang out with him was at his Christmas party two Decembers ago. I was able to make it in long enough to hug him and say hello and chat very briefly then I left. Another 5 minute thing lol. I was SO happy that I was at least able to do that. I am excited for days when I will actually be able to hang out for longer periods of time and feel more at ease. He is a part of the older crowd that I used to hang out with and I do miss being able to chat with him. He has lead and still leads a rather interesting life and I've always enjoyed hearing his stories about what he has been up too. In the past year, he graduated from a culinary school in California which I think is pretty amazing to do at 60ish! I think it just shows that people are capable of many things if they just put their mind to it. Makes me wonder what I am capable of if I can focus my mind better...

3 comments:

diver said...

'Makes me wonder what I am capable of if I can focus my mind better...'Indeed. It's great to have exemplars like him in our lives. Did you ever see the movie, "The World's Fastest Indian" (Anthony Hopkins). Your post and that movie seem to have a lot in common.

Kaci said...

I have not seen that movie, I may have to check it out.

morrow said...

I loved this part:

"I think I finally just got to the point where I was thinking to myself....I know I can do this...why not at least prove it to myself rather than wonder later whether or not I could."

It really struck a chord with me. Felt the same way for different reasons.

Love reading your blog. It is so honest and real.