Sunday, February 22, 2009

Something a litte different.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By kkaci at 2009-02-22

Before I start out, I'd like to say that I do not really claim any religion and that I respect whatever people believe to choose in. I am usually careful about discussing religious topics because I don't like to argue about mine or anyone else's beliefs. So any of my posts are not to debate religion in any way. This is simply just my experience. :)

Anyway, I've mentioned before that I've been reading the Bhagavad-Gita. I've never really been a religious person but spirituality appeals to me quite a bit. I believe in God very much so, it's all the details I get caught up in. In the past, when I've tried to embrace a religion, I always feel guilty when I cannot agree with the religion in it's entirety. Like I am cheating by only taking out the parts I like. I told this to one of my friends one day and she said that I shouldn't think like that. She told me, "Religion is man-made and faith is given to you by God." I also notice that this is something that the Dalai Lama has noted also. That anyone can take what they like from his talks about Buddhism and apply it to their life without having to become a buddhist. And so I've gotten a little more comfortable in the years, but I still feel that I want to have a closer relationship with God.

I came across the book Eat. Pray. Love. It has become my favorite book, one of those I can read when I need comfort or even hope. To simplify it, it's about a woman who goes through a spiritual journey. Every time I read it, I find something new I like. Which brings me to my own journey, or at least the beginning I hope. Another book that I really enjoy is the Art of Happiness which isby a psychologist who interprets for the Dalai Lama about happiness.

I actually found the myspace of a man who is a spiritual teacher. I know, weird...on myspace right? Well, what do you know...he is the resident spiritual teacher at the Hindu temple here. And there is only one Hindu temple....right down the street from my house. Well, we exchanged a couple of emails and I found myself at the temple attending one of his Sunday lectures. I have not yet made it back to the temple long enough to talk with him again but, we've spoken on the phone and through email still. The temple offers counsling and also he can help me with my meditation, something I really would like to improve on. I think that it would help me greatly with anxiety and just in general.

I've also been reading the Bhagavad-Gita. I actually found a copy in my own home. My mom practically collects books and I found a copy that explains and translates the sanskrit poem. It's a little confusing but I also have rather enjoyed reading it. I've already posted one part that was appealing to me, and this is another:

Work done with anxiety about results is far inferior to work done without such anxiety, in the calm of self-surrender.

Now, while it's not talking about me and my attempts to go out, it certainly got me thinking. The part about going out that makes it hardest for me is when I think about the outcome. The possibilites of what could happen. So basically, I am worried about the results rather than just keeping an open mind. And it is definitely easier said than done, but it's given me something to think about.

This is the website of the spiritual teacher I found. http://www.dharmacentral.com/index.php
I am excited for the day when I can actually meet up with him and talk a bit more about things.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Hey Kaci... i am finally getting round to catching up on blogs. You have left me so many comments and this is the first I have left you :(. I feel bad about that. Your blog is fab though and i look forward to reading more xxx

Robert said...

When i was younger, I explored many world religions. I discovered that eastern religions were concerned about this life while western religions are more concerned about the life to come. This appealed to me lots at the time & I studied Buddhism (more of a philosophy than a religion). Yoga also appealed to me. There is a lot of good advice in Eastern religion. Nowadays I tend towards atheism (I could be wrong!), but I can still appreciate the truths contained in some religious writings. Good luck with your search for spirituality.