
By kkaci at 2009-02-13
Snow day today. Only three days ago, it was about 60 degrees here. And now we are buried in maybe 8 or so inches of snow. I always love to watch it snow, it's so peaceful. It's the aftermath, I', not thrilled with. If anything, it certainly provides me with a good excuse to stay inside rather than the normal excuse. ;) And I made the most of it. I've spent some time tonight making Valentine cards and a picture frame. Now I am sitting here eating Chinese food and watching Harry Potter. Two of my favorite things! I am very blessed to have such good friends. One of my friends braved the snow to get Chinese food and was thoughtful enough to bring me some as well. And yesterday, a friend stopped by with a box of Valentine candy :)

By kkaci at 2009-02-13
(Love these, no idea what they are called)
I've always enjoyed Valentine's day even though I've been single for the last few years during the holiday. This year, I decided to make butter cream brownies for a friend who seemed kind of down the last time I talked to him. It was a bit of a challenge for me as I needed to go to the store to get some of the ingredients. The store is probably only about a 5 minute drive from my house but nonetheless it has been difficult for me. The first time I tried, I drove right past it and didn't even stop! The thought of having to wait in line and go all the way to the back of the store put me off. However, the second time around, I made it and got the ingredients I needed. I am not sure what was different this time but I was really, really glad. It was one of the goals I had made for myself this week because I really wanted to make these brownies. Yay!
A friend of mine who is going to school for physical therapy told me that in therapy sessions, they were taught to begin with very achievable goals to helps build the patient's confidence. So, this is what I have been doing. The store was the big goal for the week but most of my other goals are very simple ones. I have also been doing a lot of positive affirmations and visualizations. Before I go to bed, I write down one thing I appreciate, the happiest moment of my day and several affirmations. My favorite one I repeat throughout the day is Everyday in every way, things are getting better and better.
Lastly, I have been reading the Bhagavad-Gita. It's been very interesting to read and I hope to be able to talk to Dharma Pravartaka soon. I think that he will be a great influence. This is from the Bhagavad-Gita and I try to think of this when I am feeling uncomfortable or sad.
Feelings of heat and cold,
pleasure and pain,
are all caused by the contact of the senses with their objects.
They come and go,
Never lasting long.
You must accept them.
pleasure and pain,
are all caused by the contact of the senses with their objects.
They come and go,
Never lasting long.
You must accept them.
I know it is definitely not easy to just accept them but it has been helping me to keep in mind that this feeling will pass. I hope everyone is well and Happy Valentine's Day to you all. :)

3 comments:
Happy Valentine's Day to you too Kaci. I thought your day with snow, Harry Potter and a friend sounded just wonderful. And that flower pic you posted was gorgeous.
That was a fine affirmation too. My favourite for a long time has been, 'All things must pass'. It's got me through many a rolling panic attack in the past, y'know, those big ones that just flatten ya for an hour or two.
I'm really interested in what you're doing with Dharma Pravartaka and the Bhagavad-Gita ... this to me is one of the most interesting and pro-active initiatives I've read from an online agoraphobic blogger for ages - go for it! And please let us know a little of what you learn from time to time.
Nice to hear you a little happier this time too :)
Ahh, yes, that one is a good one to think of too.
I am hoping to talk to him sometime this next week. I have not yet been able to make it back to the temple long enough to talk about anything with him but I am certainly excited for when that time comes. This is his website, he has many articles and videos that I found to be interesting. http://www.dharmacentral.com/ I will definitely be blogging when I do finally begin to meet up with him!
I love those flowers too they're so pretty. They're called bleeding hearts.
Just came across ur blog. I'm looking forward to reading it.
Lisa x
Post a Comment